Subject: [Leica] Re: R6.2
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 99 18:02:34 +1100

<luokbh@basf-china.com.cn> wrote:

>Is the R6.2 the best mechanical SLR ever made? I want a second hand
>machanical SLR, any information would be appreciated!

I am quite happy with my R6.2, but compared to other pro manual
cameras I have worked with in the past (Nikon F2A, Cannon F1,
Minolta SRT-101), there are a few things which annoy me:

o  No mirror lock up lever, you have to pre-release the
   mirror with a 2nd release cable

o  The 'buzz' you get after you trip the shutter at 1/250th
   (wonder how long the M-perfectionists would tolerate a design
   'feature' like this!)

o  No intermediate shutter speeds (the F2A does this easy)

o  X-Sync is still hopelessly slow

o  Timer *doesn't* work without batteries.

Things I love about it:

o  Easy to disengage the motor-winder mid-roll

o  V. Quiet shutter release (not 'CLACK' or 'THWACK'!)

o  Nice and solid (no wobbly photomic head)

o  Access to the range of superior, metal-bodied R series lenses.

o  20-year working life(?)  The F2A and Cannon F1 are already
   history (yes I know they are popular and still being saught
   and used every day - but try and buy one *new*.)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

VR MEDIA  SOUND  PHOTO  JAVA
nemeng  Warrimoo   Australia