Subject: [Leica] Re: CanoScan 2700, was digital vs film ...help
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 99 10:19:23 +1100

"Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca> wrote:

>I just ... got a Polaroid SprintScan 35 Plus.  Huge increase
>in shadow detail and ability to scan dark slides.  The software
>is much better.  You just pick on the prescan what should be white
>and what should be black and it does the adjustments.  If you have a
>neutral grey in the picture it can use that to set the colour balance.

One thing I found helpful during my early scanning years
(a couple of years ago!) was to create a small 4x5 inch
target card containing a pure white, a pure black and
18% grey target regions.

When out on location, would take a separate shot of this
card every now and then (especially when working indoors
with mixed available lighting).  Then, during scanning, would
use the shot of the card to help calibrate the scanner.  (You
have guaranteed black, white and mid grey targets for the
SprintScan software to work with).

Also don't forget that the SprintScan software (v2.7)
allows you individual control over each RGB curve.  Very
useful for getting the colour balance close in the highs,
mids and shadws before the image even hits PhotoShop.

BTW, it is because of this precise colour control that
I first noticed the image colour/contrast quality of
Lieca lenses vs. Nikkors!

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

VR MEDIA  SOUND  PHOTO  JAVA