Subject: [Leica] You buy Leica because you enjoy the "process" of taking the picture.
From: "David Strang" <dstrang@up.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 23:23:15 -0500

I just recently bought into an R8 with 35f2 from Tamarkin. Eric did a nice
job of handling my neophyte Leica questions. I really like the style and
handling of this camera. I wish a motor drive was available, but I hope to
have the motor-winder sometime Friday.

I saw this posted several times:
"You buy Leica because you enjoy the "process" of taking the picture. You
buy Nikon and Canon because you "want" the picture.  Simple really."

I have used Nikon F's, F-2, F-3, F-4, FM-2. I own a Canon F-1n and EOS-1
system(s). I have been working professionally full-time and part-time for
more than 20 years. I currently shoot part-time for the local paper,
specializing in sports. We have a Division I ice hockey team, Division II
basketball, football, volleyball, tennis, plus the usual high school
basketball, football and ice hockey.

I would never consider using the R8 for these available light events. The
view finder is far too dark and the optics contrast a tad too low. The F-1n
has a marvelously bright and contrasty image. I use a laser matte screen
optimized for my 300mmf2.8L and another matte screen optimized for my
85f1.2L. I focus on the participants's hair or markings on their helmets.
The EOS-1 has autofocus, but it's too slow and just doesn't work when people
cut in front of the subject. The predictive autofocus works very poorly, so
I use it in manual mode. As a compromise I use custom function 4 which
allows me to manually focus as well as press a button for autofocus, without
changing any function, move any switch. The motor drive is boosted by the
Booster E1, which gives me 5-6 frames per second and a rather nice touch.
With the EOS-1 and 135f2L lens, I can concentrate totally on the image and
not even spend a millisecond on enjoying the use of the camera.

When I have used the R8, I have a marvelous feeling of owning something that
can best be described as a euphoric momen!." It is a real pleasure to use.
I'm waiting for the first return of several rolls of slides I shot over the
weekend.

Late yesterday afternoon, I took a ride to a nice beach area a few miles
away on Lake Superior. We've had a "heat wave" the past few  days as
temperatures reached 40 degrees F. I had an hour before the sun disappeared
and my R8, 35f2, and some Fuji ASTIA. The lake encases the shoreline in ice
10-30 feet thick. Well, the warm temperatures have taken their toll, and the
ice has now receded to exposing the conglomerate rock shoreline. The result
is a shoreline of huge jagged ice slabs and the surface glitters with icey
diamonds. To accentuate the snow texture, I use a cross light or back light
angle, which puts the sun into or close to the frame.
I noticed that whenever I shot into the sun, there was little to no lens
flare and the contrast nicely controlled. My Canon optics are nice, but they
have a hard time controlling flare and holding contrast in these situations
(or as well as ).

So, when I shoot sports, I don;t need to think about how well the camera
feels or functions, as long as it functions like I expect it to. I won't use
autofocus or autoexposure, only my wits, skill, experience. I need to bring
back an image, no excuses. Maybe, if Leica releases the Motor Drive and
designs a much brighter focus screen, my opinion might change.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Dave
dstrang@up.net

- ----Pentium Pro/Windows NT 4-SP3/Zip100/Zip250/Jaz2GB/Astra 600S scanner/
RedHat Linux 5.0/MSVC++ 5.0/MSVC++ 6.0/PowerStation Fortran 4.0/Photoshop
4.01/Photoshop
5.0/Illustrator 7.01/KPT 3.0/KPT 5.0/PhotoTools 3.0/Portfolio 4.0/Total
XAOS/Matlab 5.0/
Maple V/Office 97 Pro+SR2/MacOpener 4.0/AMIGA 1000/AMIGA 2000-GVP030
Combo/AMIGA 3000(2)/Indigo 2XZ/IRIX 5.3/IRIX 6.2/ and member of UP.NET!