Subject: Re: [Leica] The Leica R8 - Supply and Demand
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:38:19 EST

Interesting comment Peter.  I don't think supply is the issue with the R8.  If
the demand for Leica R8's suddenly doubled they could meet it.  It is a niche
market product and Leica specializes in this niche market.  I don't think that
Leica desires to lower the retail prices of their products; production costs
yes, retail no.  I would be surprised if they ever want to go head-to-head
with Canon and Nikon,  If they did, in my opinion, they would lose.

Leica did everything that they could to kill the enthusiasm for the R8 when it
was introduced and they are still paying for the mistakes.   Lenses were not
ready(ROM), the pricing was not right ( the reason they had to give big
rebates), no motor drives (still not available), no winders (when they finally
brought them to market they didn't work), no remote, etc.  It was horrible
planning.  If Leica had done a better job in preparing the camera for market
they would have sold more and, as a result, would have had more money to
invest in product development and enhancements.

I have an F5 system and I love it.  I have an R8 and several lenses and I love
it.  The perfect camera that would allow me to consolidate into one brand
would be an autofocus R8.  In my opinion, Leica lenses are clearly superior. I
prefer the ergonomics of the R8, the quaility, the solidity and the quietness.
It is much more user friendly and it does everything better than the F5 with
the exception of speed.  Speed is important.  Unfortunately, if Leica would go
head-on with the Nikon F5,it would be cost prohibitive, but it would be
interesting.  I can justify owning both systems because each camera does
specific things better than the other.

Obviously, these are my opinions.  We are lucky to have both available to us.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if I can finder an adapter to fit my Leica lenses on my
Nikon?

Love my Leicas!

Bob Bedwell
<< Isn't it supply and demand??  Since the demand is less for the R8 than say
 the EOS-3 or F5 they don't make as many.  With production lower they need to
 charge more to be profitable.  If this were made by a company in greater
 numbers it would be substantially lower in price.

 Peter K