Subject: RE: [Leica] B&W output from digital devices
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:56:18 -0500

> RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > I would sure hate to think that prints from an Epson printer
> would rival what
> > I am gettiing from my darkroom.  I am far from a professional
> and really don't desire to be one or to do exhibition prints.  I
> have extreme pride of
> > ownership after working on a print and finally getting one that
> is worthy of
> > mounting.  I will never posess this feeling from an ink-jet
> printer.  The word
> > to come to my mind when I think of this process is prostitution.

Why would you ever say that?...After scanning the neg, you use PhotoShop or
a similar program to do everything you would otherwise do with the
enlarger - enlarge, reduce-  crop, don't crop - burn in, dodge - darken over
all, lighten over all - adjust color to make it more "real," adjust color to
correct "reality." Additionally, you use the software to "spot" the print
prior to printing, so that you get a final print without any dust or gunk
anywhere. All of this requires your intellectual and physical input. All of
it requires your having an understanding of photography, printing,
etc....It's simply using a different medium.

When all that is done, you turn the image over to the printer and get a
print...Why is that so different from developing the print inside a drum
system?

Different? Yes, of course. Prosititution? Say WHAT!?!?!