Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 16:49:37 +0000

>Dear Dan,
>Another thing that Leica planners may have considered is that most
>photographers own (or need) only one enlarging lens for each film size they
>shoot. However, the same individual might own several more expensive cameral
>lenses for each film size.
>I should think that enlarger lenses are easier to design and make. The range
>of subject distances is limited, and fields are flat. No coupling to
>consider, and speed is not so important.
>SIncerely,
>Joe Stephenson

Yes...with the infrastructure already available at Solms, manufacturing the
enlarger lenses should be a piece of cake.  We obviously have'nt figured
out the mindset of the marketing gurus there to come to an answer as to why
they have not done that.

I wonder how many people who are already happily using their favourite
enlarging lens would convert to a new Foco-*****-tar III lens.  I can only
use one 50mm lens at a time for my 35mm negs.  I am not sure what I will do
with my Apo-Rodagon even if I bought an Apo-Focotar III.  Is there a really
 bouyant used enlarging lens market out there?  The used dealers in my part
of the woods are not keen to handle second-hand enlarging lenses.  There is
obviously very little collector interest in this kind of glassware.

Dan K.