Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:36:13 EST

Mark:

I enjoyed your note.

We have similar equipment.  However, I do love my Nikon F5 and I use it when
there is any type of motion involved.  I just can't see well enough to focus.
I purchased a new lense for my R8 several weeks ago that I am really excited
about, the 28mm PC Super Angulon.  The images from this lense are nothing
short of spectacular.    This lense is what started the quest for information
about Leitz enlarging lenses.  I am still not sure if their is a heirarchy in
the Focotar lenses.  I'm afraid if I don't research and make the correct
purchase I will end up with one that may be less desirable and not being any
better than what I have.

Bob Bedwell

If you know which Focotars are the best I would love to hear from you.

<< I use El-Nikkors: 50, 80, 135, I also have a 75 somewhere which directly
 compares very unfavorably to the 80 which would explain its much lower
 price. A color rental lab I use has Nikkor so there I also use the 105
 and 180 both higher priced lenses and a half step up from the others.
 They are workable standards of the industry just like Nikon cameras. As
 I having gotten into Leica cameras I am of course looking for sometime
 pristine and inspiring more than standard to print with as well.
 I too, I would love to see a comparison between a Focotar and an APO
 Rodagon. I'm rooting for the Focatar but am getting prepared for a
 struggle to lay my hands on one when it wins. Either a 40, 50 or 100 I
 think. I'm sure you'll tell us about this book on enlarger lenses.
 Schneider might win out in the end for me.
 I use the Nikkor 80 on my 35mm and am looking for something better
 and/or faster. The lens is not at all bad, it just doesn't excite me.
 I'm usually not this frivolous with equipment, once something works for
 me, I marry it. Of course, camera wise my nikons have pretty much fallen
 to the way side. They have as much nostalgia as the fact that to try to
 sell them would be silly because they are worth little dollar wise.
 Mark Rabiner