Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 09:49:04 +0100

>Dominique:
>
>Thanks for your input on the subject.
>
>What has been your experience with the Focotars compared to other brands of
>enlarging lenses.  Your comments are most valuable.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Bedwell
>

><< According to my favourite photographic review, Chasseur d'images, the
> MTF-test of these 2 lenses, rodagon and apo-rodagon, gives a small
> advantage to the apo in the edges.
> BTW I had owned the 2 focotars, 40 and 50, and was not convinced by the
> results, especially with the 40 (alone, without the focomat).
>
> Dominique Pellissier
>  >>

#########
Further comments :
* focotar-2: same results as a rodagon, but without the ergonomy and the
luminosity of the latter (f:4.5 against f:2.8).
* focotar wa : "plastic" building and same luminosity and ergonomy as the
rodagon. Results (my subjective evaluation) : so-so in the edges of the pix
in comparison with a rodagon or a focotar-2.
Both the lenses are still for sale as spare parts but the Leica prices are
now equal to craziness.
Why Leica Camera does not build a Focotar-3 "fine art" ? I enumerate the
conditions : all metal building, 2.8/50mm apo, same ergonomy as a
rodenstock or a schneider, price around 900 USD and a classy box with a red
dot (Have you seen the boxes of the focotars ? A marketing disaster).

Dominique Pellissier