Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Re: glass or plastic
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:54:03 -0800

<snip>
On the other hand, I would go along with Jim Brick's 50 year prediction when
it comes to PJ project work, documentary photography, and fine art - film
will be around for a long time, if for no other reason than the fact that by
starting with film and with the high quality lenses used on cameras like the
Leica, N and M, digitally stored and printed images end up better than they
would if they were shot with digital equipment.
<snip>

If you think film and lenses are better than new digital equipment, your
daydreaming in technicolor.
I have seen the Megavision S2 take a Hassy image of a person down to the
iris in an eye and with software it actually made it clear. You just can't
do that with film.  I guess if I had $10K invested in an ancient M system, I
would probably be in denial too!  Thinking like that reminds me of what H.M.
Warner of Warner Bros. Pictures said in 1927, and I quote "Who the hell
wants to hear actors talk?"

<snip>
The real question I have, the real hope I have, is for products like those
mentioned earlier today, which will allow a "traditional" camera to store
take and store digital images...I'd love to be able on occassion to put a
digital card, rather than a roll of film, in my M6 or N* F and have instant
photos...and then be able to load film and shoot in my normal manner....
<snip>

I think they will reserve this type of digital card for a modern camera
capable of using it, like a N* F5, or EOS-3 rather than the very small
market of expensive mechanical cameras.

Peter K