Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Re: glass or plastic
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:55:17 -0500

> I always thought that the convenience of being able to take and
> download an
> image to a computer, subsequently adjust it and then e-mail to anywhere in
> the world in minutes would have been a benefit to photographers,
> outweighing
> some of the inconvenience??!! Kind of like when they invented the
> automobile.  Everyone that owned a horse didn't like the idea.
> Inertia...the human constant."

I think that when we discuss digital photography and the inevitable takeover
of digital we need to define our terms pretty carefully....I would be that
within 10 years - if not 2-5 - virtually no major daily newspaper will be
shooting film for daily assignments, and none will be doing wet printing
anymore.

On the other hand, I would go along with Jim Brick's 50 year prediction when
it comes to PJ project work, documentary photography, and fine art - film
will be around for a long time, if for no other reason than the fact that by
starting with film and with the high quality lenses used on cameras like the
Leica, N and M, digitally stored and printed images end up better than they
would if they were shot with digital equipment....

The real question I have, the real hope I have, is for products like those
mentioned earlier today, which will allow a "traditional" camera to store
take and store digital images...I'd love to be able on occassion to put a
digital card, rather than a roll of film, in my M6 or N* F and have instant
photos...and then be able to load film and shoot in my normal manner....