Subject: Re: [Leica] film loading, flip up door
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 14:09:11 -0800

> Ben,
>
> I don't want to sound like I'm putting cold water on Mark Rabiner's
> response. However, the door is there to "assist loading" simply because if
> you had ever tried loading the earlier Leica models with the solid body and
> no door, you'd be screaming holy happy toads each time you tried to load
> because there wasn't a door.

dour doorings
I'm not up to tangling over the door issue. I'm sure glad its there. It
bails you out when the film loading Gods are not smiling. I'm just
saying that when I'm really cranking film, sometimes with a Winder I
ignore the door and everything works fine. When there is a lull and I
start checking things and making them perfect and I end up with the
rewind crank not moving and having to start from scratch. I believe is
said as much in the little booklet that came with my new M6 five years
ago. I ignored it because I thought I had the inside track on doing the
thing with the door and so on. Years later going back to Plan A made me
a happier camper.
Put this is really a religious issue of appeasing the appropriate Gods
at the appropriate times. The Leica Gods of film loading are notoriously
cranky and need fresh_________.
Mark Rabiner