Subject: Re: [Leica] Minilux or Hexar? Now: Minilux vs. 35 Ti vs GR1 now
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 14:04:12 +0100

Alexander,

Not sure where and when this thread started, but I can only find your
post under this heading, so I do not really know if my considerations
are redundant with things written by others in the most recent past.
Nevertheless...

I agree with your opinion on the GR-1. It is the most versatile 'P&S'
(whatever one calls that category of cameras) I have ever touched. On
the quality level (optical performance, metering reliability) it seems
- -to my unperfect retinas- on par with M performance, even for Velvia
slides. It allows plenty of user control (choice of aperture, hyperfocal
management through 'permanent' focus lock, EV corrections), which is
amazing in such a compact AF motorized package. The build quality is
very nice (magnesium outer shell, real diaphragm, nice finish).

Over a M6+28mm, the GR-1 has the advantages of size, weight, price,
motor, AE and on board reliable flash. The whole GR-1 package takes less
volume and weight than a 28mm-M lens alone...

It has 2 drawbacks IMHO: the on-off button is sensitive to the point
where it too easily extends and unprotects the lens when in your pocket
and the camera is noisy compared to a M.

The Minilux has a 40mm lens (f2.4) and an integrated flash, the 35Ti has
a 35mm lens (f2.8) and an integrated flash and the Hexar has a 35mm lens
(f2) and no integrated flash. The GR-1 has a 28mm lens (f2.8) and
integrated flash. These are main differences and, when added to very
obvious volume/weight considerations, prevent -to my eyes- all those
systems from really competing against each other.

I therefore do not quite agree with adding up all the "or...or"
exclusions into a single 'high-end P&S' market segment. There are many
ways to analyse that segment from the user requirements point of view,
and the GR-1 really does stand apart: there are quite a few highly
capable 35-40mm compact boxes around, but very few 28mm ones, and even
fewer ultra-compact 28mm options. A great little camera!

Alan