Subject: Re: [Leica] 21 or 24 mm M lens: advice sought
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 08:59:16 +0100

Christer,

21mm is great for street scenes, especially in non-US cities where the
streets are narrower (think of small casbah streets in Essaouira or
Marrakesh for example, or medieval towns and villages in Europe). It
gives volume to the smallest settings and is irreplaceable in the
numerous 'vis-à-vis' situations one does encounter (people at the same
cafe or restaurant table as the photographer, any type of cabin -cars,
train compartments, cable-car, whatever-), shops, etc. The 21mm is also
ideal for close shooting and very lively pictures of crowd scenes (from
within the crowd), market scenes, interior shots, etc.

Besides those uses, the 21mm allows very spectacular near-far landscape
images and provides many of the strenghts of ultra-wides, while
remaining useable in less extreme situations.

OTOH, I find 24mm a little too tame for those uses: it feels like a
slightly wider 28mm rather than like a very wide angle. Since you own
the 35mm, you will be more tempted to switch to another wide angle lens
if you feel it will be really wortwhile. And 21mm makes the switch
obviously worthwhile. I would treat the 24mm as a 'radical' complement
to a 50mm, and the 21mm as a sister to the 35mm....

Friendly regards,
Alan