Subject: Re: [Leica] 21 or 24 mm M lens: advice sought
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 07:37:31 +0100

Christer,

If you can overcome your dislike of apherical lenses, take a serious look at
the 24mm lens. I cannot think of any situation where I wished I had the more
extreme 21mm. The image quality of the 24mm Elmarit is the best, by far, that I
have ever seen in any wide angle lens. Already at f2.8, you get
corner-to-corner sharpness with minimal distortion. Contrary to what some
people here say, I find the 24mm finder indispensable, perhaps because I wear
glasses. It has the added advantage that if you ignore the framelines, you can
see the coverage of a 21mm lens (I verified this for myself recently at a Leica
dealer here in Brussels). So, if you later decide that you do need the
additional wide angle of 21mm, you will not need to replace the finder.

Nathan

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> I am getting myself a 21 or a 24 mm lens for my M6 and would like to hear
> what you folks think is the "better" one for me.
>
> I shoot black and white only, have a Tele-Elmarit 2.8/90mm and a Summicron
> 2/35mm. (Yes the physical size of the lens is of a certain importance to me
> and I would always go for the smaller one if there is a choice.) I am a
> fine grain and sharpness fetischist, but I do not think I need the new ASPH
> lenses as I am very satisfied with the performance of my current 35mm and
> 90mm lenses. Does that limit my choice to 21 mm lenses because the only 24
> mm lens is the new ASPH?
>
> I am into available light photography, street photography and portraits
> (but portraits is not what I am primarily going to use the new lens for, I
> am rather thinking of something like certain Jean Loup Sieff pictures). I
> would  be interested in hearing opinions on the
> price/(practical-usage-)performance relation of older type 21 mm lenses
> provided they can be used with the M6. (I have read what Ervin Put has
> written.)
>
> (...and yes, don't hesitate to email me privately if you are a seller.)
>
> --
> christer almqvist
> eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
> 14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/index.html