Subject: Re: [Leica] 21 or 24 mm M lens: advice sought
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 21:47:53 -0800

snip
> Please note that all Leica M lenses below 35mm are now retrofocus lenses,
> although only to a slight degree in comparison to SLR lenses. This is to
> allow the M5 and M6 metering. On the positive side, this makes it easier to
> design a lens that has even illumination over the field, but on the
> negative, it makes it harder to control distortion. As a consequence, the
> new 21/2.8 ASPH has more distortion than the 21/3.4. These differences are
> slight, but they do exist, and might possibly make some difference in your
> shooting.
>
>    *            Henning J. Wulff
snip

Thanks for the valued info. The retrofocus issue and been out of in my
mind for years and I trust you have helped clarify it.
It's my impression that retrofocus somehow means: telephoto turned
backwards. If this might be the case how can something be slightly retrofocus?
As to the distortions issue I am recalling Erwin's articles which I'm
pretty sure are convincingly to the contrary, but I'll go check now.
thanks again,
Mark Rabiner