Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing tabs
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 01:17:38 -0500

TTAbrahams@aol.com wrote:

> Carl, you can have a focussing tab put on a Summilux. Most users who want it
> do what I did. Drill a hole in the knurled barrel and fit a screw in it — on
> one I used a screw from an old stereo — nicely knurled 'knob" on it. I usually
> put these on in such position that when pointing straight down it has the lens
> focussed at 8ft. Not to elegant, but it works. Probably possible to put one on
> a 50DR too — although I think that the tab from the 35mm f2 should fit.
> Industrial epoxy works too - I had Reinhold do that to my latest 50/2
> (collapsible hood model)
> Tom A

Tom,

I should have addressed this to you specifically as I knew you'd have
the answer. Your rationale for knob placement is also in synch with what
I'm looking for: Knowing where the lens if focused by touch. That way as
I wander I can be focusing before the camera is at my eye. I like this
approach with my 35 Summicron. As I understand it, many street
photographers also work this way. Again, thanks for your advice.

Carl Socolow