Subject: Re: [Leica] plug inside non-TTL M6
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:35:27 -0600 (CST)

Well, my apologies for making you and possibly others uncomfortable,
Francois....

I won't EVEN touch on the things that make me uncomfortable on this
and other lists, however,  I've started WARS with less.  I just haven't
bought into the opinion that I have a "right" to NOT be uncomfortable.

You know, in amateur radio there has been considerable criticism and
gnashing of teeth about what is "appropriate" language and behavior
on the air....in the far distant past, the standards were EXTREMELY
stringent...uttering the word "hell" or making a reference to
sexuality or discussing religeon or politics of ANY KIND were
"forbidden" -- not by the FCC, necessarily, but by the "standards"
of the group.....much like a newsgroup or reflector.  The FCC only
states that one can't use "obscene or offensive language".  But you
see the problem is, even THEY can't DEFINE what the hell they're
talking about.....hence, no objectivity.

Believe it or not, I've come up with a way to objectify these standards,
and it is a method I've used and defended for several years now.
If I hear it on network TV, in prime time, either in sitcoms or
in pseudo-news programs, I assume that it's OK with the FCC --AND--
with the mainstream.  The only problem with my method is that with
the recent circus on these broadcast media (Ellen, Bill, Hillary,
Monika, etc.) I'm not sure that MY standards are not tighter than
the media's!!!

We don't let our 8 year old have a cable/antenna connection to her
room for this reason, nor do we allow her unsupervised internet
access.  At 15 or 16 (this is when they REALLY make decisions for
themselves, not at 18/21 or some arbitrary age) we of course will
gradually allow her access to the "real world".

With 700+ members on these groups, I've encountered folks from
ALL backgrounds.  We have the radical right/fundamentalist crowd.
We have "adult" photographers, which offends me most of the time.
Please bear in mind, working in the arts, I have no objections
for "nudity"--- but most adult images are expoloitive, not art.
(pretty wierd coming from my viewpoint, huh?)

In any case, the lines you quoted were OBVIOUSLY a joke, and living
in North Texas, with its "trailer communities" -- a damn relavent
tounge-in-cheek reference.  I've been informed on two of my groups
in the past that "we're a better class/family than that" or some
such BS.  I can tell you that this is NOT borne out in one-on-one
encounters with the "elite" of either group.  Give me dealings
with good-ol'-Texas-bubbas anyday......

Again, I'm sorry that you were disturbed by my post.  I'm sincere
in this statement.  But I won't promise that you won't be offended
by me or someone else today (don't turn on your radio/TV, for God's
sake).  I won't stir up the crowd with any more "first amendment"
nonsense...I don't want to be "corrected" by any more attorneys (who
generally can't figure it out themselves).  But think about my
"yardstick" for morals/ethics the next time you watch the news..  :) :)

Now, back to cost-cutting in the M4-P/6.......

Walt