Subject: Re: [Leica] 21 or 24 mm M lens: advice sought
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 07:23:40 -0800

Christer,

I have the 21mm (a recent, non-asph version) and wouldn't be without it. But
I also have the 28mm. You have to consider where a new lens fits in with the
lenses you already own. I like having the 21 and the 28, but many users I
know cover that range well with just a 24.

If I'm going to shoot wider than the 28, I want to go as wide as I can get
(reasonably). Before I got the 21, I still carried a Nikon body so that I
could use my Nikon 20mm/2.8 - one of my favorites.

Right now seems to be a good time to buy the non-asph 21mm. Used prices have
dropped a bit with the introduction of the asph version. I find the quality
of the non-asph to be excellent, but I shoot mostly fast B&W. It's not much
larger than the 28mm, but does require the accessory finder. Personally, I
like the finder (because I wear glasses) and usually use one with the 28 as
well rather than the M6 28mm bright lines.

Bryan