Subject: Re: [Leica] Adapter rings: The universality of the older Leitz M lenses
From: "A S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:05:16 -0500

- ----
>You mean if I got an R8 I can use my M lenses on it with no problem?
>Stop down metering? I guess it doesn't have an automatic aperture, but
>how much of a work around would that be? You would focus wide open and
>then quickly stop down? Does the image get too dark to see? I am very
>interested as I love the R8 and the price keeps dropping and all I have
>now is the M6. The expensive thing about the R being the lens, I thought
>I'd be saving far into the next millennium for the 100 macro which cost
>twice the camera. Not having to get a lens with the camera would make
>the whole thing more doable.
>Mark Rabiner

Mark:

In fact, the M system is a universal one via the Visoflex III and suitable
adapters.  It was the Leitz policy of yore that M lenses with a focal length
of 50mm and greater could be separated to a lens head  and focusing mount so
that the lens heads can be used on the Leica bellows and/or the Viso. This
was a very elegant concept from both an engineering and practical point of
view before, say, 1970-75. But the emergence of the Leicaflex and R-series
cameras made the use of Visoflex cumbersome for most users. Thus, an
ingenious Leica M to Reflex adapter was introduced- the adapters 14127(for
the Leicaflex) and 14167 (the 3-cammed version for the R series).
These M-to-R adapters demonstrated to the Leica users that their lenses
eventually may be optically surpassed but are not intended   to become
obsolescent.
Yes, in view of the need for stopdown metering, and a manual diaphragm the
modern R lenses are more convenient to use. But the convertibility and the
relatively low price of these older lenses makes them very attractive to
many users. Let me give you an example. I rarely use the 135mm lens. Thus to
duplicate a M and R version would not be sensible. But I have a black
Tele-Elmar f4 which in its pre -1990(?) incarnation comes apart.  Then, via
the 16464 focusing mount and the 14167 adapter I can use this lens on my R5.
The later Tele-Elmar and the current apo-Elmarit f2.8 M lenses do not
separate. Consequently, for a total expenditure of $700-800 I have both a M
and a R lens. Granted the apo 135mm lens is optically superior in the
corners to the Tele-Elmar. But if you trust the older lens tests of Mr.
Goldberg in Popular Photography, the Tele-Elmars well as the 21mm f3.4 SA
were lenses with superlative performance.
The same combination of adapters also works with the lens heads of the
      90mm f2.8 Elmarit M
      65mm f3.5 Macro for Viso
Furthermore, the 16462 focusing mount allows the use of the lens heads of
the
      135mm f2.8 Elmarit M
        90mm f2    Summicron M
A very complete set of adapter combinations with lens heads are given in the
Leica Handbook as well as in standard reference books. Perhaps Marc would
like to submit for archival purposes a note entitled "Mounts and Adapters
101" ,similar to Jim Brick's "Cams 101"

I hope this helps and best regards,

Andrew Jordan