Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera Bags
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:45:26 -0700

For a number of months now, I've been using the Tenba Traveller (satchel) on
a daily basis, replacing a Domke satchel (middle model, larger than the
camera satchel), which was in really wretched condition.

Tenba's dividers are vastly better, and the bag overall seems to be made
better. But I do miss the pair of large pockets in the front, which could
swallow a good deal of film. In it's place, Tenba has a zippered fishnet
compartment on the main flap, but unfortunately, if you unzip it while it's
on your shoulder, the contents fall out, as the zipper's on the bottom. In
place of the Domke's large front pockets (spare M body? Heck, those Domke
pockets hold a Mamiya Six with 75mm lens, or a Fuji GA645 like they were
designed for the task) is a zippered organizer section, well-suited towards
carrying a spare M body, Palm Pilot, pens and what-not. But it also
introduces two additional layers of padding, which considerably reduce the
capacity; needlessly so, I think.

The large rear compartment is just a wee bit too small to accomodate the
Sunday New York Times, which the Domke *will* hold. On the other hand, try
packing a notebook computer *and* M or H-system into a Domke! The Tenba
expands like an accordion, so the main limitation's what your shoulder will
bear! Cotton canvas, as used by Domke and Billingham, certainly can look
attractive as it wears, but "Protek" synthetic seems far tougher.

For now, my ideal bag would be a slightly larger Traveller, minus the
zippered organizer and fussy film compartment, and with the two large front
pockets of the Domke.