Subject: [Leica] Modified split-filter technique...
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 9:19:32 -0500

First off.....I remember reading that article that stated that split
filter printing was a waste of time........  I was thinking that was in
Darkroom and Photo Techniques.....

My guess is either the guy who wrote that was tonal blind or he didn't
vary the times between his two filters.  In which case the results I
believe would in fact be identical....... and  indeed a waste of time...
But I have not done exhaustive testing on the subject.

I don't use the traditional split printing technique as I do a lot of run
of the mill printing of images where it isn't beneficial enough to make
it worthwhile.

There are times where I prefer to use a modified split-filter technique
where the first exposure is done with a 1 1/2 or 2 filter and then giving
additional exposure through a #5 filter to make the blacks and shadow
areas darker.   This works great for images that were taken in direct
sunlight with awful shadows...  or other problem negatives that I have to
rescue......  I do print other peoples negatives besides my own.....
But I do need to rescue of few of my own from time to time too....

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador