Subject: Re: [Leica] How does this Focomat 1c enlarger work?
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:45:29 -0500

Ken wrote:

>One more question:  what are the curly pieces of sheet metal to either
side of
>the head for?  It looks like a place to keep your extra long negative strip
>curled up.

That's right. You won't need them if you cut your negatives, but just leave
them there.

>I got it to focus last night, although it wasn't autofocus.  I'll have to
zero
>in on the global minimum (autofocus) by adjusting the column height, fine
focus
>knob, and the cam setting.  I'll eventually get it, and then I'll be
smiling :)

Great. Sounds like you're on your way.

>With the anit-newton ring on there, the condenser barely clears the negative
>with the lever all the way back.  Is this correct, or do I need to put the
ring
>on a bit more snug?

It doesn't need much clearance. You can tip the entire condenser and light
housing backward after releasing the two small knobs on either side of the
assembly. That helps for positioning of the negative. Lower it slowely,
then turn the lever to lower the condenser the rest of the way onto the
negative. The anti-newton glass should, however, fit snugly against the
condenser.

>Recommendations for a solid easel would be highly appreciated.  The easels
they
>had at school were so crappy, I always used the speed (nonadjustable) easels.

Saunders makes several excellent one. Their V Track is terrific and, I
think, the top of the line.  The 11x14 is a good size. They also make a
universal in 14x17, which sounds like an odd size but is quite convenient.
The 16x20 is terrific, but it's pretty large. Even if you occasionally
print that size, it's nice to have a smaller one, say 11x14 or the 14x17,
for everyday use. Kostiner makes some good ones too. I have their 20x20,
which I use for 16x20 printing, and the Saunders 14x17. I'd like to get a V
Track. B&H lists the VTrack in 11x14 for $185, and in 16x20 for $372. The
Universial 14x17 is $132. They have other models too. I strongly recommend
a four-blade model.

>Thanks for the info guys!
>
>ken

You're welcome. Enjoy your Focomat Ic. It's a fine and capable instrument.

Bill