Subject: RE: [Leica] Studying Hebrew
From: Mary & Stan Kephart <kephartol@att.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 99 00:23:07 -0500

>	Shalom, Mary!
>
>		Every congregation has its own personality; certainly in our
>conservative synagogue in Massachusetts you would be welcome to study
>Hebrew, but I can't speak for any others.  I would think that if you spoke
>with the education director at a local conservative or reformed
>congregation, she or he would be able to tell you straightaway if you would
>be able to study with them.  Most synagogues offer courses in both Biblical
>and modern Hebrew.  If you interests are Biblical, it is not that difficult
>a language to learn once you have mastered the alphabet; the vocabulary is
>actually fairly small.  Modern Hebrew will be as great a challenge to you as
>any modern language.
>
>		Good luck in your search!
>
>		Buzz Hausner

Hi Buzz,

Thanks for your reply.  I was very embarassed that my post went out to
the whole LUG, especially since you already had to apologize for yours!
Anyway, I find the LUG quite forgiving, and I'm happy to hear from you.

I don't know if I could take on a course in Hebrew at this time.  I know
the Rabbi at the local Synagogue, Dov Elkins (published author and
translator of Hasidic wisdom) from the local Clergy Association.  I often
wonder how parts of what I consider the OT are translated and understood,
I guess that interests me more than the linguistics.   Your post on the
LUG was sort of a nudge--to maybe start asking questions of the folks who
can answer them.

Thanks again,

Mary