Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Passport
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:06:21 -0600 (CST)

Well, David, it's simple....I'll say it slowly....in our culture,
(and in my family's opinion, when I was growing up...) there were
things that were "necessary" and things that were "extravagances"...
Cars, houses, furniture, lawn equipment (beyond the basic $125
lawnmower)  were "essentials".....cameras and audio and watches
etc. weren't!!!
It was "OK" to have a $1000 lawnmower, a $15000+ car, and "new"
furniture (when the old was FINE - and comfortable)....AND a
$29 camera, just to take care of the "necessary" pictures (kids).

To have a $1000 car, $100 lawnmower, old (SOLID) furniture with
scratches, etc. AND  $10,000 worth of camera and audio equipment
is consider "frivolous" or "irresponsible"....even though the
above mentioned stuff meets my needs exactly!!

I didn't say that I commented on my neighbor's purchases -- IT"S
THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!  If you make snide comments about my
Leica or my old car, then I'm gonna go after your bass boat....

In fact, contrary to what you may feel based on my posts to this
list, I don't even KNOW my neighbors (exc. one) after owning
my house for SIX years+ !!!  They have interests VERY different
than mine (my interests are "invisible"--photography and ham
radio with simple wire antennas -- and we have NO antenna restrictions!)

But let me step outside with expensive toys, THEY notice!!!
Just my comments/reactions....your past experiences may/obviously
vary...
Walt

On