Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Leica Stigma
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:39:08 -0800

Let's explore this for a moment...

I thought part of the complaint was that no one knows what a Leica is and
most people think that they are P&S cameras. Hardly mugger material. Pretty
easy to fence N*, C*, M*, and P* equipment. Well known value. But that old
looking P&S... nah!

I've been wearing a RED DOT on my left lapel for over ten years (see it at
http://www.photoaccess.com/photoaccess/phototeam.htm ) and I get asked all
the time "what's that pin?" and I respond "it's a Leica pin" and 100% of
the time, the return was "what's Leica?" . I absolutely believe that given
a choice, thieves will take known marketable goods over unknown goods.
Street fencing is not a sophisticated activity. If the fence can't unload
it through the normal non sophisticated channels, they either don't want it
or won't pay much for it.

The top 15 stolen cars in the US are:

1. 1994 Honda Accord EX
2. 1988 Honda Accord LX
3. 1992 Honda Accord LX
4. 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
5. 1995 Ford Mustang
6. 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
7. 1995 Honda Accord EX
8. 1990 Honda Accord EX
9. 1989 Toyota Camry
10. 1992 Honda Accord EX
11. 1989 Honda Accord LX
12. 1991 Honda Accord EX
13. 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
14. 1995 Toyota Corolla
15. 1987 Chevrolet Caprice

I don't see BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Saab, Lexus, Infinity, or anything other
than a well known, mundane, run of the mill, easy to sell, N*, C*, M*, and
P* kind of cars.

Basically, I do not believe that the RED DOT, or the word Leica, has
anything at all to do with getting equipment stolen. An F5 or EOS in your
hand is "far more" tempting to a thief than that hard to fence, I don't
know what it is, camera.

IMHO

Jim

* - Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and Pentax