Subject: Re: [Leica] 39mm B+W filters
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:35:58 -0800

Piet Schelling wrote:

> Hello LUG,
>
> A question that might have been asked many times before (sorry, I'm rather
> new to the LUG). I have a B+W 39mm UV-filter (bought two months ago, new)
> for my Summicron 50mm. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to buy a few
> additional B+W filters for B&W like organge-red and yellow.
>
> A few local stores confirmed that these filters are not available from B+W.
> I find this hard to believe, does anyone know a source having them
> (eventually another brand) on stock?
>
> Regards,
>
> Piet,  Netherlands

B+W has a full compliment of colors for black and white, the company is
owned by Schneider and you can contact them on the net or otherwise
download their color filter charts.
They have their own system of numbering. I have a 060 for all of my
leness which is a yellow-green. A red I have from them is a 090 39 mm,
one of their red filters has unusual characteristics as it barley
increases contrast like red filters are known for. This I read in a well
written magazine article a few years back and intend to check out. I
will be reordering some of my many filters from them as they are now
available (MC) multicoated which  I value. I also have a 46 mm  red for
my 90 from heliopan whose filters are no slouch as far as I can tell but
I'm checking out just how multicoated they are and can be (ordered).
Hoya filters although cheap are maybe more then ok as they sell glass to
Leica and have a multicoated line. Tiffen filters consists of layers of
sandwiched glass which doesn't rub me the right way and I would hate to
see on a leica lens IMHO. I guess NASA doesn't agree which desearves a
truly tasteless sick joke which has no place in such fine ...
The overall consensus around here might be to not ruin fine Leica glass
with filters, a concenous  I would not go along with. I love filters,
just as long as they do something. UV's I don't use as I have never
scratched any of my millions of lenses and I am not careful. Happy
filtering! I always look in the grab bag boxes in camera stores and swap
meets and try to pay $5 instead of $50 but not always.
I'm going to save this into my first template.
Mark Rabiner