Subject: Re: [Leica] [Leica-off topic] country of origin
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@netscape.net>
Date: 25 Jan 99 17:29:08 JST

Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:
> Ken, I don't know where you live, but it damn sure ain't
> Dallas, Tx.......you WILL NOT get your F or SP or even F2
> serviced....two years ago they wouldn't take in an older
> 300 4.5 that needed a new mount!!  a 5 minute job!! ("no
> support for manual focus")

Nope.  It certainly ain't Dallas, Tx.  Even for Leica, it ain't Dalls, Tx
either.
As Leica stuff gets sent back to NJ, Kindermann, or even Solms for "official"
repair, Nikon stuff may have to go back to Tokyo for servicing.
> I respect that Nikon Japan has this kind of reputation, but
> I can't even order a COMMON part for my F!!! (a part shared
> with the SP, F, F2!!!) from Nikon USA.....BTW, it's the
> single part that will eventually be the death of ALL the
> mechanical Nikons....I'm glad that I learned how to file the
> old part to get another 25 years out of it!!!

Well, as Ray pointed out, Nikon USA is an independent firm and has its own
bean counters and service policies.  If you do have servicing problems that
cannot be resolved in the US., you can always ship it back to Tokyo.  Similar
policy applies to Leica stuff, too.

> Leica can't support the M3 forever, but nearly 50 years
> is commendable.....I just hope the bean counters never get
> their way with Leica....

Well, Nikon still services its model I, circa 1948 :)