Subject: Re: [Leica] [Leica-off topic] country of origin
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@netscape.net>
Date: 25 Jan 99 10:09:54 JST

Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Leica] [Leica-off topic] country of origin
> But OTOH, YOU weren't the one with the rabidly anti-japanese
> slant.......Marc was....and I've read enough of his posts that
> it's consistent.....now IF it is based on lack of extended
> customer support, THIS I understand, and I agree.....Leica,
> Audio Research, RL Drake (???), BMW/Mercedes/etc.  have a tradition
> of customer support on LONG discontinued products.....
>
> Nikon doesn't even want to support manual focus lenses ___THAT ARE
> STILL FOR SALE NEW!!!!

I beg to differ.  Nikon has perhaps one of the best support for its older
products, regardless of manufacturers.

Nikon continues to provide support for all of its top-of-the-line bodies,
including the Nikon I.  Nikon went as far as manufacturing a new batch of
raingefinder prisms several years ago for its rangefinder bodies.  When did
Leica last made prisms for its screwmount body cameras, and even M3?  I have
had my F body circa 1969 overhauled, and came out good-as-new.  Burnt out a
hole in the cloth shutter curtain of S2?  They will happily replace it with
another cloth curtain, or a titanium curtain.

Nikon will work on pretty much all lenses it ever manufactured.  They will
overhaul your chrome, rangefinder lenses, not to mention its F-mount lenses.
I recently had my 50mm lens circa 1962 overhauled.  While they would not
polish the element etched by mildew, they redid the aperture mechanism which
was somewhat loose.

This is not to say that Nikon will provide support for all of its products.
It will only service its top-of-the-line bodies, for example.  If your
venerable Nikkormat (Nikomat) breaks beyond certain point, they will only
suggest that you buy a replacement.  I think they are generous by giving
discounts (30% off retail?) for a "comparable" current model.  For example, if
you flattened your Nik(kor)mat, its closest replacement will be an FM2.  While
less accessible to customers outside Japan, Nikon's service centres will
accept repair orders from overseas, as well.

Nikon's policy to make a new batch of replacement parts is more limited, more
understandably.  Since it is often possible to buy another one on the used
market than to fix one, they will suggest you do that.  In instances where
parts are rare, and replacements are not found on the used market, they will
remanufacture certain parts to provide on-going support for its products.
Aside from the rangefinder prism mentioned above, they have remanufactured
prisms, body covers, and shutter curtains for F.  They still stock battery
cases for MD-3 motordrives for F2...  The list goes on.

> Still, I don't think Marc's position is based on such logical
complaints....THAT"s what I was asking......

I concur.  While the great depth of his knowledge is immense, I do find his
rabid attacks on Japanese manufacturers rather off-putting.  Very few things
in this world are invented, but most are improvements on older ideas.

Ok, flamers, pick your topic:

Tessar is a mere derivative of Cook's Triplet design.
Sonnar is a mere derivative of Cook's Triplet design.
Planar is a mere derivative of Gauss' meniscus pair design.

Asbestos pants on. :)