Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: XTOL Suddenly Dying
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:45:29 -0500

If you have any doubt, stick the cutoff leader into the developer for about
a minute and then in the fix for about a minute. Black=OK Clear=not OK

Ken Wilcox

>Does anybody know of a simple test of whether the developer is still usable,
>without having to go through the whole process with a test film?
>Ben
>

>RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Mike:
>>
>> Unfortunately all of these posts on Xtol have me paranoid.  My Xtol is five
>> months old and I haven't been very careful in my storage practices.  I think
>> you are absolutely correct in suggesting that tests be conducted before
>> processing important negatives.
>>
>> Couldn't live without Delta and Xtol!
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> << It always amazes me how so many of us (I've done it too) will risk
>>  important work with a couple of bucks worth of questionable developer. I
>>  recently souped some Delta 400 in XTOL that was about 3 mos old--no
>>  problem. Before I use it again, assuming I just can't bear to chuck it and
>>  mix a new batch, I will run a test roll first. The shelf life will vary
>>  considerable depending on storage conditions, including temperature,
>>  exposure to light, how much air is in the top of the bottle. Test first!
>>
>>  -Mike
>>   >>

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>