Subject: Re: [Leica] Xtol and New Ilford 3200?
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:55:25 +0000

>With all the positive comments on Kodak's Xtol devloper, I may actually
>overcome my fear (see post on my Cosby ordeal) and try it again. Anyone
>playing with the 'new' Delta 3200 film?

I have played a bit, but I will have to do some more....Anyway here are the
first results.

As you know, no Xtol times are given on the table inside the Delta 3200
box. Ilford now has a data sheet for Delta 3200, it was on internet, but
was then taken away because 'one-half' (minute) was printed as 'fi'.
Perhaps it hasbeen corrected and the data sheet reappeared. The data sheet
gives times for Xtol stock  at 20° (68°F) and 24°. I have been playing
around with 20°. Ilford says that the times 'may need adjustment', a
statement with which I agree. They also say that the 3200 speed is not as
per ISO standards, and they are fair enought to state the ISO speed as
being 1000.

I have found the development times stated for Xtol stock to be much too
short. As a rough guide I would use development times stated for meter
settings one or two steps above the meter setting actually used. I.e. i
would use the development times listed for 6400 when I shoot at 2400. Now I
do not need Delta 3200 to shoot at 2400, for that I can just as well push
Tri-X  which costs less that half of what Delta 3200 costs. I developed for
10 minutes, agitating for 10 secs every minute, and I shall be testing out
longer times over the weekend. Let me know if you want the results.

I also used Xtol diluted 1+1 (125 ml stock Xtol per film) and developed for
18 minutes, agitation and temperature as above. Again the best negatives
were those exposed at 2400. (BTW I tested with strips of 10 negatives, and
started exposures at 1600 and then moved up in half stop steps.

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58