Subject: Re: [Leica] Dating lense + Leica book
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:33:59 +0100

Xavier Logean wrote:

> Do you have any advises on good leica books ?

Being a bit of a newbie Leica owner (March 1998), I have in the last
year bought the following:

   Leica Pocket Book by Hove Books
   Leica Accessory Guide by Hove Books
   Leica M Compendium by Jonathan Eastland
   Leica M Photography by Brian Bower
   Leica Reflex Photography by Brian Bower
   Leica Collectors Guide by Denis Laney
   Leica M The Advanced School of Photography by Gunter Osterloh

If you are looking for a good reference book that covers the Leica
system but doesn't tell you how to use the stuff, I'd recommend the
Leica Collectors Guide.  The Pocket Book and Accessory Guide are good
(small sized) companions, but much of the information is duplicated
between the small books and the Guide.

The Collectors Guide (for some reason without an apostrophe) covers the
entire Leica system (as far as I know), from LTM cameras and lenses,
through M system, R system, accessories, darkroom gear, enlargers,
projectors, you name it.  Details variations in manufacturing, numbers
produced, and other info.  Great book.  Latest edition was August 1992,
so it doesn't cover the latest stuff (such as the R8, M6HM, M6TTL, new
lenses).

I prefer the "Leica M Compendium" over the "Leica M Photography".
Bower's book covers more of the old gear, but I still found Eastland's
more useful and less naive.  Bower's has more colour photographs in
it, so it's better for gazing at over a cup of tea rather than actually
reading.

The best book on Leica technique is Osterloh's, but it's close to
impossible to find in good condition and at a decent price.  Every now
and then some twit advertizes on the LUG that they have it for US $125
and a loose-leaf copy at that.  Probably the same person who buys Scotch
for CAN $16,000.  For that price I'd expect it to be autographed by
Shakespear and hand-printed by Gutenberg.  In fairness, most of the
information exists in other places too (of which the LUG is one), but
it's nice to have it all in one place on your bedside table.

In England, the Leica Collectors Guide by Laney is about £35 through
the Internet bookshops.  The Pocket Book and Accessory Guide are £9
each, and there is a Price Guide for another £9.  Good value for money
all, IMO.

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho