Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw Mount Lens
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:23:28 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
>I wonder if your distaste for Japanese cameras and lenses extends
>to consumer electronics, cars, etc........and comments
>from others welcome, of course....

For me, it's not where it originated, so much as what it does for me.

I prefer the M-system to the G-system, because, for what I do, knowing depth
of field is useful, and so's being able to prefocus the lens. And if you
choose to bypass the electronic rangefinder, it's an expensive,
scale-focused camera; there's no optical focus confirmation. I have no other
35mm camera, save for a Minox.

I own a Chinese-made shortwave radio, and a British one. The Chinese-made
Radio Shack DX375 is simply an amazing buy. The British-made Lowe HF-150
brings in the tougher catches. Both are exceptionally nice to listen to,
having the "crispness" needed to make shortwave audio intelligible, but
without undue harshness. I find Sony and Japan Radio too muddy-sounding,
Grundig nice but overly smooth and EQ'd, and the one Drake set that I
borrowed (R7A) dull but harsh.

The video card and motherboard in my newly-completed computer were supposed
to be some of the best that money could buy: They're from a Taiwanese
company called Asus. Performance so far has been sterling. My favorite
notebook computer of all time, the Apple Powerbook 100, was built by Sony.

Trade imbalance with Japan? I dunno! The US may import lots of Japanese cars
and electronics, but we export a lot of American culture there and to the
rest of the world. Watching a movie starring Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd on
one of China's domestic airlines was a surreal experience!

Jeff