Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw Mount Lens
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:51:56 -0500

At 10:51 AM 1999-01-21 -0500, B D Colen wrote:
>Isn't the problem with the Russian stuff
>that, while the designs may be world class designs, the quality control
was and
>is less than non-existent. Which means that buying one of these lenses is a
>total crap shoot: you may be getting what is in essence a fabulous Zeiss
lens,
>or you may be getting the bottom of a vodka bottle?

Good heavens, NEVER buy anything Soviet or Post-Soviet WITHOUT an MBG!
Yes, quality control is, er, astoundingly variable -- the best is superb
the worst is horrid.  The glass is almost always excellent but, even here,
poor assembly can make the lens a lousy performer by not establishing the
proper spacing, &c.

Buy carefully, folks!  (The upside, of course, is that most of these lenses
run under $150, and I've picked 'em up for $25 on occasion.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!