Subject: Re: [Leica] Gurkhas & khukuris - off topic.
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:32:32 EST

Ian:

Very interesting and thank you for sharing it with us.  I am very sorry that
you are out of chemicals.  Please let us know when we can view some of your
work.  Sounds like a wonderful place to be.

Bob Bedwell

<< At 09:33 PM 99-01-20 -0800, you wrote:
 >Hi James,
 >
 >it's my understanding that the Ghurka's of India, incredible soldiers, you
 >really want then on your side in a fight.  Always draw blood when they take
 >their knives from the scabard, even if they nick themselves on the hand or
 >wherever to draw blood on the blade.
 >I beleive it has something to do with their religion and ancient customs.
 >ted

 Hello Ted and greetings all,

 	Sorry Ted, but the Gurkha regiments are from Nepal not India and the story
 about the blood is one of many tall tales told of them.  The knives are
 called khukuri and are used by farmers, guards, regular military and just
 about anyone else who chooses to.  There are thousands of them for sale on
 the streets of Kathmandu and every customers is assured that the knife is a
 genuine Gurkha khukuri.  If this were actually the case not a single member
 of the various regiments would have any knives left at all.  The name
 Gurkha was originally Gorhka after the soldiers from the Bahun, Thakuris,
 Chhetris, Magars and Gurungs - this was later changed to Gurkha and applied
 to all Nepalese soldiers no matter where they were recruited from or what
 group they belonged to.  The Gurkhas are going through some tough times of
 late as less countries are maintaining the regiments.  For a long time one
 of the main sources of income for Nepal was regular pay and pensions from
 the Gurkhas.  Quite a few of the folks I know here are ex Gurkha and have
 some very interesting tales to tell.  As usual though many of the stories
 told about the various deeds are in fact based on myth.  Despite all of
 this they have fought in many wars and distinguished themselves admirably
 for the most part.

 	Most of this war stuff I don't understand anyway though as fighting for
 peace to me seems to make as much sense as fornicating for virginity.  To
 keep this ever so slightly on topic I have photographed Gurkhas with a
 Leica and lived to tell the tale.

 	I am just emerging from many days in the darkroom - I have finally
 finished processing film from my trip out and have started on some print
 making.  Unfortunately I am almost completely out of chemicals now so the
 printing will have to wait until we are set up in Bangkok.  I still have a
 good stock of Velvia and the spring wheat, rice and mustard should be out
 soon so I'll spend the rest of my time here cruising for snaps.

 Ian Stanley,

 Kathmandu, Nepal