Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:57:57 -0600 (CST)

The only thing worse for the used/photographer market than a
Leica collector is an organization of same!

I've even seen posts on the Collins radio collector reflector
encouraging that "association" members ONLY sell to each other!!!

The vintage telegraph collectors have already adopted a near-universal
policy of trading ONLY(!!!), thereby effectively preventing new
entry into the hobby.....(no shit, their ads read "trade only" --
not for sale at ANY sane/insane price!!!

I'm not saying that these are the policies of the ORGANIZATIONS --
just that the equipment remains in little "pools" rather than
the general used photographic marketplace.....and yes, on the
rare occasion that I have Leica for sale (recently, in fact), it
is listed here on the reflector AND the newsgroups, etc.....first/
best buyer wins.....I'd RATHER sell to a user, the two problems
I've had over the years were both with UNBELIEVABLE nitpickers!!!
(I made good on both, but am more careful.....one dumbass asked
if I had anything else for sale--AFTER I refunded his money!!!--
Jeezus, don't think so.....)

Just my .02, flame away (I realize I just stepped on the toes of
some of the demigods of the group.....so be it)

I've seen a "safe-room" FULL of Leica/Nikon RF/God-knows-what-else
that will NEVER expose film again, at least in the guy's lifetime....
I know another one with HUNDREDS of pieces of Collins radio equipment--
and he uses a late Japanese station ON THE AIR!!!

I like to have a few nice pieces of each, and "rotate" them out
every few years.....to each his own, I guess (typed with disgust)

Walt