Subject: Re: [Leica] Insurance
From: Bill Grimwood <bgrim@garply.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:18:31 -0600

At 02:29 AM 1/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have my photography equipment covered by my homeowners policy but I was
>wondering if anyone knows of a good insurance company that deals specifically
>with insuring photography equipment.  I read somewhere in the past that some
>companies will not only insure your equipment for theft but also from damage.
>Anyone have a good company that will insure for both theft and damage?
>
>Thanks, Mark

Your homeowners policy if in the US usually gives 50% of your home coverage
for your contents.  Example if your home is valued at $200,000 then in
addition to that the policy would include $100,000 for contents.  Your
cameras would all be covered under your HO policy unless otherwise
excluded.  Read your policy to see what the exclusions are.  Typically they
do not exclude cameras but a few companies limit them to $5,000 or some
other arbitrary figure.

If you have a standard policy which most do, you would have 20% away from
premise coverage, ie with the above example you would have $20,000 coverage
away from home.  If you have a large amount of equipment and or a
collection I recommend adding a floater to you HO policy that would list
each item and therefore set the value of it.  This is not expensive.  With
this coverage the contents coverage would not apply so you would have it in
addition to the homeowners coverage.  It also will have a separate
deductible which could be lower or higher than you HO coverage.

This may sound a bit complicated but it really is not.

If you have any questions let me know.

Bill Grimwood
Independant Insurance Agent