Subject: Re: [Leica] Trying to figure out the way to get better deals!
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:16:35 +0100

Walt,

Thanks for an interesting message.  I'm very much a secondhand-user too,
but there is one point where I wouldn't agree with you: I think that
the second-hand market *does*, indirectly, support Leica.

People who buy new Leica gear know that the resale value of the gear is
good.  If we imagine the hypothetical situation were, for whatever
reason, it was impossible to resell Leica gear (or anything else for
that matter), there would be a drastic reduction in the purchase of
new stuff from that company.

Therefore, it can be argued that those of us who exclusively buy second-
hand gear are actually supporting Leica, albeit indirectly, because we
enable others to generate the funds necessary for the purchase of new
equipment.

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just "DOHH" it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho