Subject: Re: [Leica] G2 paternity (was: "cold" lens rendition)
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:34:00 +0100

Eric Welch wrote:

> >In what way is Blake Ziegler, AFAIK marketing director for Contax USA,
> >the "father of the G2"
>
> In my conversations with him on Compuserve, when the G1 came out, he
> claimed, and I have no doubt that the camera was pretty much his idea, and
> that he participated, as much as anybody in determining the features it
> would have. That he pretty much convinced Contax (Kyocera) to build it.
> Maybe he exaggerated? Do you know that's not true?

Well, I was a dedicated member of the Compuserve forum at the time the
G1 and later the G2 were launched. I remember a lot of very interesting
and documented posts by Blake. I saved most of the threads because I was
considering purchasing a G system (which I did, at the time). But I do
not have or remember one single post arguing that he assumed paternity
for the system or even for the idea of the system. Could you forward one
such post to me, please ?

I'm sure that, like all active marketing managers through the world, he
has interacted with the Contax designers before and after the launch for
normal marketing feedback and suggestions. No more, no less.

Might we ask him his opinion on this 'historical' piece of trivia ? I
would really like to know the stories behind the birth of that peculiar
system...

Alan.