Subject: [Leica] Leicaflex SL and 50/2 problem
From: "Mike McGyver" <m_mcgyver@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:20:36 PST

I was looking at a Leicaflex SL yesterday with the intention of
purchase, but I noticed a couple of things... first, when focusing the
50/2 lens (Leitz Canada, 27779xx 3-cam), it feels like it's rubbing
against something at the last half-inch or so of travel (infinity side).
This problem disappears if I take the lens off the camera and turn the
focus ring.  I suspected that the rear part of the lens, which moves in
and out during focus, was rubbing against something in the mirror box at
infinity but I couldn't see rub marks anywhere.  Anybody else have this
combo and experience the same problem?

The second thing is that the lens has a very loooonnng focus travel, to
the point where I have to reposition my fingers at least twice when
focusing from one extreme to the other.  Have the current lenses been
designed with a shorter helix or do they still have the same problem?

Thanks!