Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Filter
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:05:21 +0000

>I've joined the ranks of the poor and purchased a Noctilux after all the
>wonderful comments I've read from owners.  I've also read the many past
>postings re: filters on Leica lenses.  My questions have to do with using a
>filter on a Noctilux.  I've been told by several folks that it's a good
idea to
>use a filter on the Noctilux to protect its large glass surface which is more
>exposed then other lenses.  I've also noticed that the glass is not as
recessed
>as in other lenses which may expose it to more trauma.  Then again the
pamphlet
>that came with the lens says Leica does NOT recommend a filter be used.
Catch
>22 here...I want to protect my major investment but I do not want the
filter to
>impact any f.1 low light night time shooting.  Any thoughts?  Noctilux owners
>are you using a filter??
>
>Thanks, Mark

Mark,

You have joined the ranks of those poorer in the pocket but richer in
photographic experiences and opportunities which  the Noctilux *will*
definitely provide you.

The situation about the filter placement is an entirely different matter.
I really admire those who never put on a filter, come hell or high water.
I am more the type who subscribe to what some say that, "Discretion is the
better part of valour."  I can't bear to see the front element tarnished -
during desert storms, in the midst of Chinese stir fried cooking, smoke
filled bars with dim light requiring the presence of the Noctilux, and
children's inquisitive fingers, and a zillion other anxious occasions.
Personally I would not want to buy a Noct that has a blemished front
element and to allow one to happen on a perfectly good one is grounds for
repeated self-abuse by kicking myself everytime I even think about it.
Overnight the value of a perfectly good lens drops and I will NEVER be
completely sure whther that wee bit of a 1 mm size chip on the front
element or a 3 mm scratch or a 5 mm superficial marking on the same will
ever affect my pictures.

Those who believe that the shots without the filter turn out better are
probably right. Presently I am perfectly at peace with my 60mm Leitz filter
sitting on my Noct.   I am happy with the way my pics have turned out and
some of my shots have even done me honours on the pages of magazines.

Dan K.