Subject: Re: Photoshop tips [was Re: [Leica] RE: exposure rules]
From: U.SCH@t-online.de (Ulrich Schroeder)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:26:56 +0100

> If you're interested, the URL for this tip is:
>
>    http://www.adobe.com/studio/tipstechniques/phsshadows/main.html
>
> It seems to be a great general trick for making selections.

Hallo, Photoshop-Users,

I´v had a look at this tip and I find it not very transparent to the user.

I´ll show you my way, to produce a fill-in-flash: (without owning a M6TTL!)

    1) Make a COPY of the whole picture
    2) Generate a new ALPHA-Channel
    3) PASTE your COPY in this channel, it will turn to B&W
    4) INVERT the channel
    5) Make a GAUSSIAN-BLUR
    6) Correct this channel in MASKING-MODE, if needed
    7) CREATE a GRADIENT-LAYER
    8) The menu of the GRADIANT-LAYER will show you a white frame.
    9) COPY your ALPHA-CHANNEL to this white frame, which is a new (white)
ALPHA-CHANNEL
    10) Lighten-up your shadows in the GRADIENT-LAYER
    11) If you switch off this layer, you will see your original, situated on the
basic-layer
    12) Save your file in PHOTOSHOP-Format. Make a copy as TIF or EPS, to import it
in a layout-program

If you want to make changes, open the PHOTOSHOP-Format and correct your
GRADIANT-LAYER, or your ALPHA-CHANNEL.
I find this way much more transparent to the user. It will not destroy your
original scan.

Ulrich Schroeder