Subject: Re: [Leica] M4-2 wisdom....
From: Urban Fredriksson <griffon@canit.se>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 13:37:48 +0100

Michael Hintlian <MichaelHintlian@compuserve.com> wrote:

> Is this camera a total bow-wow or is it a sleeper?  Seem
> to remember that there were issues around the shutter???

Some things were changed, but I can't recall it was
anytning to do with the shutter.

> Is the M4-2 viewfinder .72X like the M6 classic?

It's .72x like the M6, but I've found that the framelines
don't cover the same areas. My M4-2 includes more and is
thus closer to what's actually on the film than the M6,
which may be closer to what is on a regular print (this
I really hate, why not use 24x36 mm if that's the film
format).

> Should it be avoided?

Not in general I'd say, but I should have avoided mine.
Or perhaps rather the place I bought it and the workshop
they use. Took four tries for the workshop (one before
they put it on the shelf, three times after I bought it,
with an average waiting time of one month) before the
rangefinder became even "close enough" to allow proper
focusing. (If you plan on shopping in Stockholm, write
me and I'll give you their name.)

From a price/performance standpoint, I do think an M4-2
can be a good choice. At least here, where an old M6 is
almost twice as much.
- --
 Urban Fredriksson  griffon@canit.se  http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
 Photo pages with: T400CN - photos and opinion and my photo gallery:
 Latest updates: Oct 13 with autumn in b&w, Nov 26 with November frost
                   http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/diverse/pix/pix.html