Subject: Re: [Leica] exposure rules
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:43:11 -0800

- --------------AE64E6326EE1A4A2AA0DD1CF

George Hartzell wrote:

> This topic got its start with the rule "Expose for the highlights",
> which seems to actually be "expose for the brightest highlight that
> you want to record with detail".
>
> Assuming that the scene you're working with has a greater dynamic
> range than the film can handle, this says you'll lose detail in the
> shadow areas *and* that you're not going to explicitly decide about
> how/where that happens.
>
> Is there a reason that one doesn't expose for the darkest shadow that
> one want's to hold detail, and let the highlights fall where they may?

Primarily because the film looks funny that way.  Any blown highlight seems to
stand out.  Of course, there are exceptions.  Interestingly, there is a fashiony
style recently to shoot backlit and slightly over-expose for the shadows on low
contrast film such as EPP.  You can see this also in Conde Nast Traveler
sometimes--but they are mostly hiring fashion shooters.  Trendy.  Everything
looks washed out.  In corporate work, or news, I'd get fired for such images.

The contrast range differs in various films, of course.  It is easy to blow
highlights on EPP and very difficult on Velvia.  This is one reason I use the
Velvia. I can shoot a backlit scene with Velvia, expose for the shadow and hold
the highlights--even bright white directly lit.  In fact, Velvia is best shot
backlit because of this.  Front lit, the contrast to enormous.  But for people,
especially women where you can use the overexposure to eliminate some of the
facial detail, the EPP works well.  E100 also good in this regard.  Velvia is
the only Fuji trany  film I have shoot more than 2-3 rolls of, but I suspect
that RDP is similar to EPP.

> Is there something different about the shadow end of the range, is it
> that the highlights are usually what's defining the focus of the image
> so one needs to get them right, or is it just that you have to pick
> one end or the other end to think about/nail down and tradition
> dictates working with the highlights?

The contrast of slide film is the major reason for the advancement of subtle
fill flash.  Those of us who shoot for publication try to keep the brightest
highlight and the darkest shadow within a four stop range.  That is the range of
a printing press.  Anymore than four stops (and that isn't much) and separator
has to decide whether to loose highlights or shadows.  We must thank Sinar Bron
for doing extensive publication of this concept (they used it to push film plane
metering, but you can do it with a spot meter just as easily).  When I can
control transparency film to that extent, the reproduction is much better with
detail (barely) in both highlight and shadow.  We could probably argue the
artistic merits of all this, but clients, frankly, are usually more interested
in seeing things clearly than with dramatic photos.  If you can do both, you've
got a winner.

The beauty of the incident meter is that it does calculations for you.  You can
point the dome at the sun and know the exposure for the highlight.  Shade it and
you have the shadow.  If you are shooting a side lit scene, orient it the way
you are shooting and it will split the difference, without regard for the
reflectivity of the subject.

There are three other methods of controlling where the highlight/shadow details
are going to fall.

1.  If you are going to shoot a whole roll or more of one scene, take your best
guess and run through six, expendable frames, then shot the rest at the same
exposure and do a snip test of the lead on the roll.  Then push or pull
according to taste.

2.  Bracket like mad.  Ernst Haas did it.  Jay Maisel does it with a vengence.
All the Nat. Geographic shooters do it.  No shame.  Sometimes you just don't
know what will look best until you see film.

3.  Using your best practice with methods 1 & 2 above, you can push a low
contrast scene to increase contrast and "clean up" highlights and pull film for
very high contrast scenes.  The later is delicate, but can work, especially for
publication.

Hope this wasn't too basic.  But having only shot some thousands of rolls, I'm
still learning.  And still use every CYA tactic I can muster.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego