Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R lens adapters for Eos?
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 02:11:12 +0000

At 04:29 PM 1/17/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello there.  I'm a Leica "M" user but i have some old sort of beat up old R
>lenses at home that I would like to still use.  I don't have a Leica R body
>but at the camera show today I saw a German made adapter for an R lens to be
>attached to an EOS body.  Does anyone have any experience with them and is
>$160.00 a good price?  Any help would truly be appreciated.
>Thanks
>Gabe
>egabe@ix.netcom.com

I have one made by Novoflex (from my EOS period) which cost about that
amount. You don't get instructions so you have to work out how to disengage
the thing- I broke the little ball off the end of the release catch trying
various ways of releasing it! Eventually I realised that the bayonet
release for an R lens on an adaptor has to work in the same direction as
that on the R body. Yes, I know, and this was obvious with hindsight. I was
tired when I did that... The R lenses seemed to work perfectly well on the
EOS bodies but obviously AF, auto aperture operation and less obviously
electronic focus indication aren't available. I think the EOS body mirror
may hit the rear element on the first 19mm R lens- I read this somewhere.
BTW I would look at the metering with this combination rather carefully and
not assume you are getting accurate TTL readings, especially with spot
metering.

Joe Berenbaum