Subject: Re: [Leica] Win 95 to 98
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:54:46 -0300

At 02:55 PM 17/01/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Many people wrote similar questions to this one:
>
>>P.S. Has anyone out there survived a conversion from Windows 95 to 98
>>without a nervous breakdown?
>
>For all those frustrated Wintel users, this is my advice based on my
>daily personal experience with both platforms:
>
>GET A LIFE!  GET A REAL COMPUTER!  GET A MAC!
>
>;-)
>
>Pascal

     I've worked with both in professional environments and they both STINK!

I'm not sure what the answer is but there is no way one is better then the
other for stability or cross-platform compatibility.

        NT? UNIX? SUN? SGI? ...maybe.  More stable, but not a lot of
applications.

What we have in the "consumer" computer biz right now is WONDERFUL
applications to run on really crappy O/S

        I have spent just as many loooong nights working on one as the other.
Wintel has problems...MAC just has different problems.

        Its like cameras and booze... choose the misery best suited to you.

To try and relate to LEICA.. its like having GREAT film and lenses but the
cameras have to be repaired everyday.

Personally, if I had the cash, it would be SGI workstations for my office
and a UNIX server.  This is the realities of professional use. Not really a
consideration for home user.

...still waiting for the great leap FORWARD!

"Sla'inte chugat!"
Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
TOUCHED BY FIRE; doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm