Subject: Re: [Leica] Life with PAD, hats off to PJs, boxer shorts
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:31:59 -0600

>My hat is off in a big way to you working shooters.  This is not easy, not
>even remotely.  Only a small portion of what I shot the week before is
>interesting and certainly fewer are meaningful.  I don't know how you guys
>do it day in and day out.

I tell you, it's very hard at times. Especially at this time of year. It's
the slowest time for photojournalists looking for "wild art" for the paper.
People are inside snuggled in bed, playing Nintendo, working on train
layouts, darkroom, whatever. But it's inside, and we don't see 'em.

So cheer up, it will improve with the weather.

But seriously, to get to the point where you can find pictures in about any
situation you run across is a skill that takes time to get good at. It
takes imagination. Looking closely at a situation and observing
relationships. Thinking up story lines that tell the viewer something about
the character of the subject. Then using the formal relationships (arrange
the photo into pleasing shapes, relationships and colors/tones) to make it
a compelling picture.

That's a the fun of making photographs on a daily basis. Seeking out what
interests you. That's key. Seek. Not just walk along and hope something
jumps out and bites you. Airplanes might fall out of the sky once in a
lifetime. But when you're eyes are open to the possibilities in life, you
can see pictures everywhere. Even when you don't have a camera with you,
you can take pictures with your eyes.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Cynicism often masquerades for sophistication in our society, but more
often than not it's merely an indicator of resentment.