Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Dropped my M6!
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:01:34 -0600

> Twice I've had the slow motion experience of watching $1500 monoblock
> lights at the top of 13 foot stands get snagged by someone and crash
> onto concrete floors.

First  shoot  I  used  my dynalite Jackrabbit unit the dern thing fell
over  with softbox and dented in the entire back of the unit. It still
works  perfectly,  but  has  a nice big dent in it.  I think all of my
white  lightning  ultras have tipped over at least once with damage to
only one reflector.

Once  when covering a track event at Emory University in Atlanta I was
running across the track and tripped over a guide fence that was about
2  inches tall and painted white...just like the lines on the track. I
thought it was a line and caught my toe on it...I had a 300 2.8 Nikkor
+ 2x converter, F3T/MD4 on a mono-pod over shoulder. I went face first
into  the  track  and  elements  went skittering across the track. The
motor  was  wrenched  from  the  F3T and I was PISSED. I got up saying
things  that  would  have  made a sailor blush and really made a total
fool  of myself as I ran around the track picking up the insides of my
300.

Got  back  to  the  office  and was showing my damaged gear to my work
associates  when  one of our stringers walked in the office. He took a
look  at all my gear and said he would fix it for parts costs. His day
job  was working as the Nikon Professional Services repair technician.
Bill  fixed  my  300,  2x (totally rebuilt it), F3T and motor (he said
Nikon  would have refused to fix the F3T) for $80.00 plus beer...Quite
a deal.

Sometimes it truly does pay to have friends in low places.  :)

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com