Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 flash
From: Christian Payot <christian.payot@span.ch>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:39:54 +0100

"Robert E. Woods" a écrit :

> Hi, I have an R8 for which I am interested in purchasing a new (to me) flash
> unit.  I want one that will take advantage of all of the R8's TTL flash
> capabilities.
>
> I am thinking of purchasing a Metz 40MZ-2 with SCA 3501 adapter, but have a
> few questions for anyone knowledgeable.
>
> 1.  What is the difference between a Metz 40MZ-2 and the newer MZ-3 or MZ-3i
> models?

I think the 40MZ-2 is discontinued. The choice is simplier. In my opinion, the
only drawback of the 40MZ-3 is the batteries (bounce flash).

> 2.  Will a 40MZ-2 with SCA 3501 adapter take full advantage of the R8's TTL
> flash capabilities?

Yes. More : I do not know any other flash system that fits so well a Leica R8...

> 3.  Is there any other unit to consider?  I am on a budget and cannot afford
> to pay more than about $200.

I can try any flash... even not TTL. With the flashmeter in the R8, you should
be able to get very good results. The advantage of the Metz with SCA 3501 is the
convenience in the use of flash : even in P mode, the results are very good.

> 4.  Does anyone have an MZ40-2 or 3 they want to sell cheap?

Not me. I keep my 40MZ-3. It is excellent, and for the first time, I am happy
with the result I get from a cobra flash...

My 0.2 Swiss Franc.
Christian Payot