Subject: Re: [Leica] How to use a TomA Softie?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:55:09 +0100

Hi Alan,

My latest M6 is the classic M6HM. Patrick here on the LUG was clearing out some
stock of new ones in December, for $1795. As my wife was going to visit her
family in the States over Christmas, I jumped on it and had it shipped to her
parents. She came back on Sunday and successfully smuggled it back into the
country ;-)

I agree with you that the soft release does cause a number of unwanted shots
when putting the camera into the bag or taking it out. I have more or less
trained myself to refrain from advancing the shutter before putting the camera
in the bag, and my percentage of wasted frames has gone down markedly. Even
without the soft release, I probably will do this, to avoid slight pressure on
the shutter button in the bag and consequent battery drain.

Kind regards,

Nathan

Alan Ball wrote:

> First, congrats on yet another purchase ;-) Is it a TTL M6HM or the
> 'old' one ?
>
> Second, regarding the soft release: I have used the one
> Lucien-the-pusher has given to me. It is true that it allows a smoother
> 'squeeze'. But I decided to abandon it because of the large number of
> accidental shots I was getting. For example, it gets really in the way
> when you want to change speeds in a hurry. It also tends to be right
> where it should not when i grab the camera out of the bag or out of the
> jacket pocket. And it gives sort of a mushroomy look to the otherwise
> neat and flat upper section of the M.
>
> Friendly regards,
>
> Alan

- --