Subject: Re: [Leica] How to use a TomA Softie?
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:30:48 +0100

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> It should have a tiny bit of wobble. You want to make sure that you screw
> it in far enough, but not too hard. Also, from time to time you will need
> to tighten it, otherwise it will looses itself and fall out some day. It
> is a bit inconvenient from that point of view, but it is a godsend for
> picture taking. I just received my new M6HM and shot the first roll of
> film without a soft release on it. Compared to my M6 and M3, both of
> which have soft releases, it feels like I am having to really dig and
> pound at the shutter button to fire it.

Nathan,

First, congrats on yet another purchase ;-) Is it a TTL M6HM or the
'old' one ?

Second, regarding the soft release: I have used the one
Lucien-the-pusher has given to me. It is true that it allows a smoother
'squeeze'. But I decided to abandon it because of the large number of
accidental shots I was getting. For example, it gets really in the way
when you want to change speeds in a hurry. It also tends to be right
where it should not when i grab the camera out of the bag or out of the
jacket pocket. And it gives sort of a mushroomy look to the otherwise
neat and flat upper section of the M.

Friendly regards,

Alan